a goodwill tour celebrating Berea's legacy of learning, labor and service to Appalachia and beyond.

Monday, April 03, 2006

Day 4


Anyone who knows me well, also knows that one of my favorite desserts of all time are cream-filled eclairs. I'm not talking about the mass-produced grocery store ones filled with whip cream either. I'm talking the real deal - light and flaky homemade eclairs filled with thick, sweet, buttery custard, which are often times more difficult to get your hands on. When Amy and I first took off on our journey, we made a deal to help each other stay healthy and nutritious. We vowed to exercise regularly, eat healthy meals, and limit our junk food intake - all tasks that become increasingly challenging when living on a diet consisting of hotel vending machines, free continental breakfasts, and eat-and-run experiences from our 15-passenger vans. I've always been forced to give into my eclair cravings by driving to a larger city, ordering from a specialty bakery, or bribing my out-of-town friends to bring me the "real" eclair. So when I found myself facing two unbelievable opportunities for (1) Custard-filled cream puffs (a close cousin to eclairs) from the Parkview Inn in Augusta; and (2) Chocolate eclairs topped with whip cream from the Captain Cove's Restaurant in Newport, I thought I should take a moment to consider the likelihood of such opportunities being presented to me twice in one day. Our News Manager, Julie Sowell has been traveling with us for the past couple of days as she is working on video journaling the John G. Fee story in his hometown of Brooksville. Julie had the great fortune of being in my presence when both the cream puff AND the eclair were offered to me. After hearing me debate back and forth between my undying love for eclairs and my struggle to adhere to healthy eating habits, Julie finally gently said, "Mae, you can't reject fate". My willpower ultimately held out (for once) and incredibly, I turned down both sinful desserts. Later at my hotel room however, I thought to myself, who am I to reject fate (especially when fate comes in the form of a heavenly confectionery) and is it possible to "reject" something that is already destined? As I take a moment to reflect on the path that is before me for the next 40 days, I hope to be more intentional in seeking hidden meanings behind coincidences and opportunities that are presented to me during my journey. Two years ago, I would have never thought that I'd be a part of something so monumental - an ambassador of 8 great commitments. Commitments in which I whole-heartedly believe. Commitments that have always served as a powerful guiding force in my personal life. I'm only on the fourth day of my journey and I've already experienced so many wonderful coincidences that I can't help but think, in some way, fit into a bigger, more complete picture.

On day 2 I had the chance to meet Dr. Hank Preston, whose name was mentioned to me over two years ago by a friend and colleague Barry Poynter. Barry, Hank, and Associate Provost, Joe Bagnoli were Berea classmates and good friends and I had been hearing stories about Hank for years! Prior to my trip, as I was seeking out locations to hold alumni Relay Roadstops, I stumbled upon a quaint little restaurant in Nashville, TN through a simple internet search and later discovered that the restaurant was owned by the great granddaughter of Berea president William Frost! While I was driving the Berea van through Paris the other day, alumnus and friend, Travis Earlywine just happened to be pumping gas at a service station on 27 when he looked up and spotted our Berea caravan! I've come to accept that Berea's connections to the world and my personal connection to other Bereans is something that is inexplicably magical and I'm no longer surprised at the different coincidences that take place that help bring me closer to others in the Berea family.

So this morning, I'm sure it was no coincidence when I mistakenly walked into Brooksville Mayor, John Corlis' supply closet thinking it was an exit door. Maybe the good laugh that we shared broke the ice and allowed two human beings from different generations, with completely different backgrounds and cultures to connect in the exact way that Brooksville-native, John G. Fee had intended.

It was no coincidence that a small group of Berea alumni took part in the historical ringing of the world's largest swinging bell - the World Peace Bell - and that the bell was engraved with symbols of unity and progress.

It was no coincidence that three alumni from the class of 1954 suddenly found themselves together in the same room at an alumni gathering in Northern Kentucky, signing what will one day be an invaluable archival copy of the Great Commitments.

Julie Sowell was right. Who am I to deny what is intended for me as an ambassador for Berea? I have no doubt that the seemingly crazy coincidences and events that transpire over the next several weeks - the people I meet, those with whom I reconnect, the new friends that I'll make - are all meant to further complete the experience of this once-in-a-lifetime Berea journey. Thanks to Julie, I'll see if Amy and I might be able to find some custard-filled eclairs at our next pit stop.

Signing off from Florence, KY

Mae