a goodwill tour celebrating Berea's legacy of learning, labor and service to Appalachia and beyond.

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Day 6



What has been the "highlight" of this trip thus far? Today, that was precisely one of the questions posed to me by a reporter from the Frankfort State Journal. As I pondered how I should respond, it occurred to me that it is impossible to rank the different experiences I have been gathering on my journey because they have all been so varied and diverse in nature. Was my private meeting with Chief of Staff, Stan Cave in the Governor's press room any more memorable than my refreshing morning stroll to the Owenton Courthouse with 9-year old Ashton? Of course not - especially when Ashton beamed as she presented Owen County Judge Executive (known to Ashton as "Billy") with a copy of Shannon Wilson's history book. Was my meeting in the former funeral home (now known as City Hall) with Owenton Mayor, "Milkweed"Wotier any more memorable than spending the afternoon at the cozy home of alums, Rob and Jennifer Stafford (and their adorable daughter, Tylor), eating unlimited Subway sandwiches, Chex Mix, and Doritos while reminiscing about our Berea days? Not a chance. Although Stan Cave and Mayor Milkweed were both incredibly hospitable and supportive of Berea's mission, nothing quite compares to the eager smile on Ashton's face when she begged to be the official carrier of the Great Commitments. After all, both of her parents (Tim and Beverly Marcum) graduated from Berea and it made perfect sense for her to want to be a part of something that would help perpetuate her parents' legacies. So as I reflected on the day's events, I told the reporter that the whole trip thus far has been full of highlights (he said that was the answer he was expecting from me anyway) ...and I have no doubt that many more are in my path in the coming days. I wonder what highlight I will encounter tomorrow?

Signing off from Frankfort, KY
Mae