a goodwill tour celebrating Berea's legacy of learning, labor and service to Appalachia and beyond.

Sunday, May 07, 2006

Day 37

We woke up this Sunday morning to the sound of heavy rain. Knowing that our itinerary today included a lengthy bike ride between Whitesburg and Pikeville by Doug Chute, ’85 I thought I’d better make a call. I was really amazed when I spoke with Doug to learn that he was still planning on riding. In fact, the rain was appropriate for Doug as he feels that Berea represents water in many ways.

Doug blessed us with a beautiful prayer reflecting on the significance of the rain before he and friend Nancy Ball took off up the treacherous ride with a 6% grade most of the way (not to mention the strong wind and rain that pelted them for three straight hours).

Doug’s wife Tammy and grandson Nathanial led the journey by car and provided amazing encouragement and support to both Doug and Nancy as they biked. I learned from Tammy today how important it is to support the ones you love as she lovingly dried Doug’s bike seat with a towel after every break. She also poured cranberry juice and provided trail mix to both riders.

By the end of the ride, I think we were all a little soaked. I was reminded of the many days on campus as a student when I had forgotten my umbrella as I walked to class. Sometimes it’s a good thing to leave with out your umbrella from time to time just to remind yourself that going without helps you appreciate what you have.

Signing off from Pikeville,

Amy Harmon, ‘99