a goodwill tour celebrating Berea's legacy of learning, labor and service to Appalachia and beyond.

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Day 11

It seems unlikely that Nashville, a city comprising of 1.3 million people (2003 projected census) and Berea College, a small liberal arts college, would have a lot in common, but since I visited, I’ve been able to draw many similarities. For example, there are about 90 Berea College alumni living in Nashville! (That is more than enough to keep the Alumni Chapter going)!

Like Berea College, Nashville is committed to its mission. Since Elvis, and possibly before then, Nashville has been known for bringing up country music legends and is the music city for it’s ‘musical heritage and Nashville sound’ (http://www.musiccityusa.com/). Berea College has been dedicated to its mission for 150 years and hopes to be for another 150+ years!

Nashville, though comprising of so many music stars, has developed a family, so I’ve been informed by one of our alumni. In my experience visiting Nashville, I gained a sense of comfort and belonging among this family. The city, though large in size, and dynamic, consists of people who are friendly to visitors and cordial to each other, despite all of the differences that may exist between them, like estate size, for example. Like the city of Nashville, Berea has a family. This family I have been familiar with since my acceptance into the College in 2000.

Who are the Berea family?

You are!

If you are reading this blog, I bet that you are VERY familiar with our family. As an alumna, I have reaped the benefits of carrying the Berea College name with me everywhere I go. In my experience, Berea College alumni have been hospitable, welcoming, and caring. They have treated me to suppers and offered a safe place to sleep in my travels. They have shared stories of their past and welcomed fresh updates from the campus. The Berea family shares a bond that I’m realizing is hard to describe, but is strong and deep. Members of the Berea family connect within seconds and they do the impossible for each other.

Why?

Because we are Berea. Alumni, current students, town residents, friends, faculty, and staff. You know who you are. Thank you for being a part of my family!
While in Nashville, I reaped the benefits of being in the Berea family and my blog today is primarily to say thank you. Many alumni gathered for ‘family’ reunions at various events throughout the city, joining the relay. Additionally, while gathering for a reunion at the Country Music Hall of Fame, Randall and Sarah Reynolds invited me, as a part of their Berea family, to attend the Country Music Television Awards. As Mae learned from Julie Sowell in an earlier blog, I just couldn’t reject fate. Because of the Reynolds, I had a once in a lifetime opportunity to attend the Country Music Television Awards! I went and had an amazing time! Of course, the evening would have been more complete if I somehow convinced all of the stars present to sign Berea’s Great Commitments. Now that would be a valuable document with potential of being sold on e-bay! Though obtaining all those signatures seemed impossible, as Wynonna Judd, an original Berean, approached the stage, I quickly learned that it was not completely unattainable. Why? Because she is part of the Berea family too!

Signing off from Franklin, TN
-Proud to be a Berea College alumna.
-Proud to be part of your family.
-With Berea, anything can happen!

-Crystal, class of 2004