a goodwill tour celebrating Berea's legacy of learning, labor and service to Appalachia and beyond.

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Day 12

Good morning! It’s Crystal Baldwin, again, reporting for Mae Suramek!

The relay is taking a short stop in Pulaski, TN. This morning Eric and I are preparing to depart for Alabama, at which point Sonja Williams and Will Jones will take over. Before we depart for our meeting in Decatur, Eric and I will visit both the city and county mayors on behalf of Berea College friends and alumni!

I’m gazing out the window of my hotel room in reflection. I see green rolling hills that stretch wide and into the distance. The large clock tower of the courthouse can be seen and defines the center point of the city. It shines above us, similar to the Draper Tower on the Berea College campus. The thought of the likeness brings me much comfort. You see, just yesterday we were informed that the KKK originated in this city. Imagine the hardship and turmoil. Imagine the inequity. It baffles me to think that 150 years ago the city that I look out upon was completely segregated and that people died because of skin color. Though less racism occurs in this city and across the country today, it is still an issue. Because of this, I proudly prepare for my meeting this morning, and every morning that I am a representative for Berea College, because I know sharing Berea and our history helps to eliminate hate.

We really are making history!

Signing off from Pulaski, TN.
-Crystal