a goodwill tour celebrating Berea's legacy of learning, labor and service to Appalachia and beyond.

Saturday, April 15, 2006

Day 15


Marian Hood Class of 1945 really enjoyed having Berea College (the van) stop by her Vestavia Hills, AL home. Signing the Great Commitments added extra enthusiasm and brought great memories of Berea to surface.

Today I took great pleasure in stopping along side of the route to take pictures and enjoy wild life. I didn’t anticipate wild life being wild (chuckle chuckle). Meaning, I stopped to enjoy a waterfall and ducks that live there; So quiet, so peaceful, so serine. The ducks glided and bathed paying me no mind until one noticed I was there. They (the ducks) watched me and I them. One began to honk, sounds similar to a car’s horn. Honk Honk he said to fellow peers, then more began to watch me. I concluded that they were conversing about my presence. After two or three began to fly and splatter the water I thought it would be a good idea for me to run back to the van. The view was so beautiful I decided to watch from the van for a while. Meanwhile, someone pulls up in a car throwing loaf bread out the window to the ducks. So I figured it out, the ducks were upset that I came to visit without bringing bread. Word of advice: take bread near wild ducks.

I’m looking forward to meeting with NaTasha Hood Austin Class of 2001 a little later.

Life is Beautiful in Vestavia
~Sonja~