a goodwill tour celebrating Berea's legacy of learning, labor and service to Appalachia and beyond.

Monday, April 17, 2006

Day 17




Wow, I had my small town experience today, but when we left it didn’t feel so small after all. This morning, Will, Jeff and I met with the Mayor of Prattville, Jim Byard, to extend our friendship. I’ll admit government officials make me want to stand straight, over articulate my words and swear to tell the whole truth nothing but the truth. But Mayor Byard and his secretary Jamie welcomed us and treated us like ol’ friends.
Thank you Mayor Byard!


From Prattville we traveled to Montgomery, AL. where Will and I stood in the very pulpit that Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. once preached from at the Dexter Ave. Baptist Church. The stained glass windows allowed the bright day to enter into the sanctuary; and we were amazed at how well this church would fit onto Berea College campus.


The Rosa Parks Library and Museum is located in downtown Montgomery and what a beautiful and massive structure. Elizabeth Hedemann and Alyssa Martin accepted our Proclamation and Berea’s latest history book to be shared with all and kept within Troy University’s Library. Channel 6 news took great interest in Berea’s history and mission.
Thank you Channel 6!

Montgomery!
~Sonja~